A former Commissioner for Lands in Ekiti State, during Governor Kayode Fayemi’s first term in office, Mr Remi Olorunleke, and Director of Administration, Gbonyin Local Government Area of the state, Mr David Jejelowo, on Thursday evening regained freedom from their abductors.
They were kidnapped separately by gunmen along Ado Ekiti–Ikare Akoko Road on Monday, and taken to a forest in the state.
Olorunleke, who spoke to journalists on Friday after being set free, said he was kidnapped around 6.30pm on Monday and kept in an unknown place before his family was contacted.
The former commissioner said, “I have regained my freedom. I spent four days with the kidnappers. It was a traumatising experience. I thank God that I came back alive. We were two; I was held captive with the Director of Administration, Gbonyin Local Government Area.
“We were both set free around 5.30pm on Thursday. I want to thank my admirers and my family for standing by me during this period.”
The Police Public Relations Officer, Ekiti State Command, Mr Caleb Ikechukwu, who confirmed that the duo had been freed, assured Ekiti people that “the police will continue to work hard to ensure security of lives and property”.
Meanwhile, Fayemi on Friday directed security agencies in the state to comb the entire state and fish out criminal elements.
He promised that the government would also take some practical steps to strengthen the security architecture of the state, including a review of the State Security Trust Fund Law.
A statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Yinka Oyebode, said Fayemi had also appointed Brigadier-General Ebenezer Ogundana (retd.) as Special Adviser on Security Matter and Coordinator of the Rapid Response Squad.
Oyebode said, “Government will take every step possible to ensure that the people of the state live in an atmosphere of peace and prosperity that is devoid of crime and violence.”
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.